BarMax California Edition is a comprehensive bar review tool available as an application for the iPhone or iPod Touch; it is one gigabyte in size and retails for $999.99. While this app is geared toward those taking the California bar exam, apps for other states are planned.
You can ask for a trial version by contacting the company, and if you don't have an iPhone, they will send you an iPod Touch as part of your package, which you can rent from them and return when you're finished with bar prep. They will also send you electronic copies of paperwork upon request.
Inside the App
- 2 months worth of outlines & audio lectures for all 12 subjects
- Study schedule/calendar to guide you through 2-month bar prep program
- Email support with live contact with Harvard-educated lawyers
- Outlines via email for note taking
- 1,371 real practice MBE questions from previous exams
- Over 800 flashcards
- 108 real practice CA essay questions and answers
- 20 real practice CA performance tests and answers
- Welcome packet with materials in MS Word format
- Lifetime access to the app and course materials
- Tips and tricks for studying and exam-taking
- Review includes: Constitutional Law, Contracts, Crimes, Evidence, Real Property, Torts, Remedies, Professional Responsibility, Civil Procedure, Business Associations (Corporations, Agency & Partnership), Trusts & Wills, and Community Property
- The option to compare your progress to that of others with the app
More About the Creators
The following are members of BarMax's Advisory Board:
Rating & Recommendation
Without mincing any words, I love this app. I did BarBri lectures to prepare for the bar exam, and while they certainly worked, BarMax not only costs much less (it's about a quarter of the price), it also speaks to me as someone who prefers to work on my own (and, when I was a law student, away from other stressed law students).
From a practical standpoint, maneuvering around this application was easy and painless; the creators obviously took great care to make everything as intuitive as possible. The depth of material is amazing, especially the number of practice questions and essays; it will provide you with plenty of opportunities to get accustomed to what you'll be facing on the bar exam.
Yes, the application took a few hours to download (as did a subsequent update), but for the size of the application this is neither surprising nor particularly troublesome. To be clear, the app loads immediately after the initial download with no lag time at all.
My only slight complaint is that the BarMax lecturer could be a little more dynamic, and future editions might consider having more than one lecturer for different subjects; I won't knock off any points in my review for this, though, because at least with BarMax, you can turn off a lecture and continue when you like, which isn't the case for in-person lectures.
I give the BarMax app five stars and highly recommend it to anyone who is preparing for the California bar exam, is comfortable making their own study schedule, and excels at learning on their own.